In this article, we answer 12 common questions about French Bulldogs that we often hear from our readers.
1. What is the rarest color that exists in the Frenchie breed?
The blue merle is the rarest French Bulldog color.
2. Why are blue Frenchies so expensive?
One of the reasons why blue Frenchies are among the most expensive dog breeds in the world is due to the high cost associated with their breeding process. Breeders of the blue French Bulldogs usually incur additional expenses in order to produce them. Their recessive genes are extremely rare, so they demand a higher price than regular Frenchies. You can find blue Frenchies between $7,000 and $16,000. The price depends upon DNA testing, coloring, and lineage.
3. Do Frenchies like to cuddle?
Yes. Most Frenchies are very affectionate dogs who enjoy feeling loved by their owners. They prefer to snuggle up next to someone else when they’re sleeping. When cuddled, they will seek out closeness and warmth.
A Frenchie snuggler may crawl right up beside you when you’re working at your desk or lying in bed. They’ll also jump onto your shoulder or snuggle up next to you on your couch.
Experts say that French Bulldogs want to cuddle for various reasons:
- To make owners feel safe: Most Frenchies are extremely affectionate and will gladly cuddle with you if they think you may need comfort. If they sense that something isn’t right, they’ll make sure you’re not alone by curling up next to you.
- To display affection: If your French Bulldog loves to cuddle, she may display her affection by licking and kissing your face. This show of affection is common for Frenchies who are very loving towards their owners.
- To feel loved: Do you know the feeling of relaxing next to your French bulldog, smelling his head, and just feeling how relaxed he gets? Well, so does your dog, which might be one more good reason he wants to snuggle with you. Moreover, when your dog gets closer to you, he can sense the oxytocin that your body produces when he touches you. When he smells this chemical, his body produces its own oxytocin, increasing its affection towards you.
- To reduce stress and anxiety: Life is full of challenges for humans, so why should it be any different for our pets? When there are sudden changes in the environment, Frenchies can get anxious and stressed. As a result, they may get clingier and more affectionate.
If you want an in-depth look at the French Bulldog personality traits, you should check out our full French Bulldog breed profile.
4. Can French Bulldogs swim?
No. They can’t swim due to their short bodies, thick neck structures, and smushed faces. They need a lot of force just to stay afloat. That’s why it’s crucial that you don’t leave your Frenchie around water unsupervised.
While other breeds can apply the famous doggie paddle when in the pool, French Bulldogs cannot because of their short leg length.
5. Do Frenchies bark a lot?
No. they don’t bark often and will only start barking when provoked. Other reasons for a barking Frenchie include loneliness, boredom, fear and anxiety, and separation anxiety. You can reduce their barking problem by providing physical and mental stimulation, counterconditioning, and desensitizing sensory triggers.
6. What is the difference between a French Bulldog and a mini French Bulldog?
Mini French Bulldogs are roughly half the size of their larger counterparts.
7. Do mini French Bulldogs shed?
Yes. Mini French Bulldogs shed their undercoats twice a year, but the shedding is minimal.
8. What is the life expectancy of a French Bulldog?
They can live up to 13 years when well-taken care of.
9. How often should you walk a French Bulldog?
They are prone to breathing difficulties due to their flat faces. For this reason, a 20-30-minute low-intensity walk a day is ideal.
10. How can I tell if my French Bulldog is happy?
Frenchies will wag their butts and give you puppy dog eyes. They use their butts to communicate that they’re happy because they can’t do the tail wag.
11. What are Frenchies allergic to?
Frenchies are allergic to corn, dairy products, egg, and salmon. Weeds, grass, pollen, cockroaches, molds, dust, and other allergens are also bad for this breed.
12. Can Frenchies see in the dark?
French Bulldogs can see up to 5 times better than we can because of their genetics and physical structure. However, like all dog breeds, they cannot see in total darkness and do not have true “nocturnal” vision without some form of light source nearby.